DBAL D2 from TNVC

Mr Benelli

Just got the DBAL D2 today and looking for any advice on what range and step process you would take to site the visible laser in with a shotgun and full choke? planning on hunting with buckshot, t shot or 4. For coyotes, coons and rabbits with the helmet and pvs 14.

I was planning on just sighting the visible laser into my point of aim at 30 yards and then range test all my shots at different ranges. basically I am looking for the laser sweet spot so it will be a kill at 15 and 50 yards, but that might be asking for too much.

thanks for any help.

7558331494_55f038b214_m.jpg

I received mine yesterday too, it is indeed a super sweet Vis & IR laser unit with an outstanding IR Illuminator, really like it allot.

I would proceed with the shotgun patterning as you mentioned with the Visible laser late in the afternoon before dark when you can see the VIS laser the best, the IR laser is adjusted to the same POA too.

You will love the IR Illum, it is really a nice setup. The IR laser bloom is totally eliminated and there is no washout or flashback close up with the focusable IR beam, just very very nice!

Here's mine mounted on the SIG 556 with the FLIR T-60 Thermal:

DBAL%20D2%20Right.jpg

DBAL%20D2%20Side.jpg

DBAL%20D2%20Top.jpg

thanks for the feedback and sweet rig...

I am also wondering since the ir laser and visible laser have only one adjusment instead of two like the dbal I2, do you think the dbal I2 will be more accurate in ir and visible mode in comparision to the d2 when shooting a rifle like the .223?

i dont like the laser on the side rail but its my only option with this gun. I might just put it on another shotgun (mossber 835) and put it on a scope rail position- but I am just concerned about any backsplash from the illuminator when you put the ir illuminator that far back on the gun... I might not get any backsplash since i am shooting with a hemlmet mount and pvs 14 and the gun will be away from my face, but ill keep you posted.

i will let you know what i think tonight about the ir illuminator.

Seeing as that you have it mounted on a shotgun, I don't think that having it mounted on the side will matter that much, on a rifle that is not a good idea.

You will love that IR Illuminator, no splash, no washout up close, and the IR laser dot is no bloom either!

Just awesome!

field tested the dbal d2. Extremely clean ir light and fired #4s, buckshot and dead coyote TT 3.5's and it held zero with the red visible laser. ill keep you posted on the ir accuracy laser.

I am still playing with it but my initial shot groups were 60/40 at 50 yards and that made my groups 75/25 at 25 yards so i need to aim little low at 25. interested to see what others say with the dbal mounted on a shotgun.

Looks like the 12 gauge boresighter is a must to check zero...thanks for the tip family guy.

Unfortunately, I have to take the laser off to clean the gun so i am thinking the bore sighter will let me check zero quickly instead of wasted range time.

It looks like this is going to be the ultimate yote setup, when you cant use an ar or they come in screaming hot.

I am liking my DBAL-D2 on my SIG 556, indeed it is a supreme night hunting laser setup, the focusable IR is awesome!

I decided to put the dbal d2 on the mossberg 835 instead of the benelli sbeii. The sbe II has cycling issues when not shooting tight to the shoulder.

after adding a egw picatinny rail i put on top a ggg optical rail gs1 and eotech exps30. The optical rail will not work with the eotech exps30 version (but will fit all other eotechs)because the mount hits the top of the rail. Therefore i had to grind the rail down in the spot of the eotech's base.

The firefield laser boresight was a great buy and was visible during the day.

7687817618_61f1fcc669_m.jpg

7687815760_a8da3dcace_m.jpg

Thanks. So far only tried it on small game. And with the pvs 14 on the helmet and the flr ps32 on the laynard/neck it makes it so easy. With a one point sling i will be able to hold an ice coffee too.

since the dbal is further back on this gun i can only run the illuminator 3/4 open or i will see barrel bloom/shadow. But 3/4 is plenty.

I just got my DBAl from repair. The illuminator came loose inside. 3 week turn around from LDI. I went to the range and shot it at 30 yards and the pattern was about 60/40 (i am guessing) Tell me what you think. When i got to 50 yards it was pretty much dead on. Here is 30 yards ulti choke 3.5 inch #4's

8004396761_ea77c12262_m.jpg

When i look through the eotech scope, the visible laser and the eotech dot where almost dead on at a 50 yards (sticker quarter size) target (eotech was slightly lower). I shot both the laser and eotech separately and they were good to go and i didn't want to play with it anymore. Here is 50 yards dead coyote "T" shot 3.5 ulti choke.

8004391415_21f8768036_m.jpg

I think i had slighlty more pellets with the 3.5 number 4's than t shot 3.5 from dead coyote. Using ultimag choke and full choke from mossberg and on mossberg 835. Either way i believe they both the number 4's and the t shot would have been a kill shot.

with the #4's 3.5 I have killed turkeys at 66 yards. I am going to try them on coyotes to see if i can save money from the dead coyote supper high prices. Here is 50 yards ulti choke 3.5 inch #4's.

8004391649_b2509c6274_m.jpg

For me the shotgun lasr adjustments was easier than the AR. I would just get the eotch dead on and then line the laser up to it 50 yards (thats if your laser is at 12 oclock, it could be different view for other positions. Shotting less than 30 yards you might need to aim two inches lower.

Now with the AR I discovered some issues today. When you remove the floating hand-guards and re-install on a stag3g the laser needs to be re-adjusted again. I am trying to find that sweet spot in the yardage where i can just line up the laser with the scope. Thereby always using the scope to check the laser adjustments. Going to play with that this week.

The boresighter for the shotgun did not help setting the laser. It was wasy off from POI.

You sure are cooking now!
thumbup1.gif

Did LDI say anything about mounting on a 12 guage and being able to take the recoil? Just wondering?

I guess you are using lead shot too and not steel, I would probably go with the T-shot instead of the #4s or better yet #2's.....

LDI told me it should take the recoil. Bad news is they never tested it on shotgun with 3.5. I am going to find out soon. If it doesnt take the recoil...ill just get it repaired agian, put the dbal d2 on the ar and the the i2 will go on shotgun and i will have to just use helmet ir...if thats the case that means the spir will be no good on shotgun. Yea lead and i will go with tshot until i run out. I want to try the 4s for 50 yards and less.

As for the problems with the dbal, the illuminator was loose inside at certain settings. It looks like your flashlight bulb came loose but was still when looking through the pvs14.

I have been running a new tan with green/IR lasers model DBAL-D2 on my rifle the last couple of weeks the more I use it the more I grow to love the D2. To be honest at first I just wasn't interested in the D2 being a $1500 laser and I already have LDI Eolad's and ITAL class one IR lasers. Well I'm glad I bought the D2 now its great having the IR laser center in the Illum with one touch of the button. The Illum is very strong and clean beam wise plus the FOV opens up very wide to a tight beam. The green laser also works great in day light sighting in I shot at 75 yards to zero green laser daylight when night came I test fired one shot with the IR to test for any POI change there was none dead on same as the green 75 yards very nice.

That's good to hear you haven't seen any difference in POI because I like to sight the DBAL D2 in with the visible laser and i havent seen a differenc with the ir laser/visible laser with shotgun pattern when hunting at night. The DBAL D2 is great product. I am just hoping it can take the shotgun recoil.

Phantom223 - Please keep us posted on your sighting in at 75 yards. I am curious to know where it is hitting at 25 and 150 yards with the visible laser. What type of scope do you have on your gun? Thanks

I have found the POI only moves alittle left or right of bullseye depending on the distance sighted in. This is do to the off set laser line of sight as you already know but some people may not. I haven't seen a huge shift maybe a 1" or 2" at normal ranges 25-100 yards not enough to miss any critters and mostlikey still better than I could shoot off hand at night anyway. I sighted in at 50 yards first since thats the half way point to 100 yards and 90% of my shots are 30-100 yards anyway but starting think in case I was to shoot maybe 125 yards that 75 yards may be a better Dead on point so re zeroed to there.With my PVS-14 or ANVIS 9's 1X lens 125 yards is a pretty good distance on a coyote things start getting small fast that far out without a 3X lens.

Your dead on. after 100 yards for me without the pvs14 3x critters look small.

Do you have a day scope on the gun? If so where does the laser line up to the scope reticle at 75?

Nope just D2 laser trying to keep the rig lite weight strictly a dusk to night rig. I am going to attach a mini dot maybe Burris fire III sight to top of the D2 just in case I need it plus that's only 1oz of weight. I have a older and a new gen 3 D-740 scopes for longer range night work but to be honest a lot of times I just take a helmet with 14/google and ir laser on carbine rifle for stalking much nicer to carry long distance and simple to use.

Back